Sunday, August 23, 2009

Hackepeter

Most of you know that eating is one of my absolute favorite passtimes. So, of course I have tried to eat and drink as many interesting things as possible while I am in a place with some foods that are different than I'm used to. The list of interesting things I've eaten is pretty long, but here is one highlight: Hackepeter. It is basically raw ground pork. You can spread it on bread like it's jelly or something and then just eat it. Here are a couple of pictures of the eating. And the verdict is...it tastes like....nothing. If nothing were cold, soft, and squishy, then that's what it would taste like. I think Germans sometimes put little chopped onions on top. I didn't, but if I had then I suppose it would have tasted like onions (nothing + onions = onions). The thing is, the Hackepeter doesn't really keep very long, so you're supposed to eat it all immediately, or cook what you don't eat. I didn't feel like cooking it particularly, and there isn't anybody to help me eat that stuff. So, I just sat down and ate that whole pile of raw meat. I'm not sure my stomach was certain exactly what I had just fed it. I'm not sure I particulary recommend Hackepeter, but it was definitely interesting to try once.



2 comments:

  1. First of all, Hackepeter tastes really good with onions on top of it :-) Secondly, you do not eat this big amount of Hackepeter on your own. And now one stupid question: Why did you not just make a burger out of it instead of eating raw meat? Definitly a question to think about ;-)

    ReplyDelete